Friday 2 May 2014

Final Major Project - Print Designs

 After getting an idea of structures from my stand work designs, I now want to think about the surface and pattern designs of my garments, really tying in the ideas of fashion and textile influences to my pre-cinema animation devices project. Therefore, going back to a technique I have used before, I have taken images relevant to my project and have then used photoshop to turn them into prints and impose them onto garment so I can see how they work and be inspired:

Stereocard Design
Flip Book Dress

Flip Book Design
Thaumatrope
Design

Phenakistoscope
Design
Camera Obscura
Design

Zoetrope Design
Anaglyph Design




After completing a few of these successfully with one device per design I tried to make the designs more complex and interesting by combining several optical toys prints into one garment:
Magic Lantern Slides, Writing, Flip book, Phenakistoscope, Zoetrope and Anaglyph Designs.

Phenakistoscope and Optical Illusion Designs

Phenakistoscope, Stereocard, Flip Book and Magic Lantern Slide Design

Magic Lantern Slide, Flip Book x2, Phenakistoscope, Anaglygh and Writing Design

Optical Illusion, Phenakistopscope, and Zoetrope Design.

 Now that I have structural designs from my standwork as well as these print designs I am in a position to plan my final piece. I like some of my print designs better than others, but am particularly happy with the combination ones, as I would like to use several different devices as part of my final product.  I was using a technique now familiar with me to create the designs, despite the fact that before starting this course I had no idea how to use photoshop at all, and find that by imposing patterns onto garments I can easily see how devices can work with the body. I received positive feedback in my progress review from tutors and peers, who said they could not see how pre-cinematic devices can be used to produce a garment due to the work done this week. However, I am still a bit behind on my planned schedule due to the extra time I spent researching and at this stage of the project I had originally aimed to have met the following objectives:

1 Developed design work.

2 Developed experimental sampling and making techniques.

3 Illustrated the chosen short story, with designs to translate these into at least four different imaging techniques

As I decided not to concentrate on the short story idea the last objective is no longer applicable, nevertheless I have not yet been able to create samples or final designs and so will need to speed up my work to complete these quickly as I enter the next stage of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment