Tuesday 29 April 2014

Final Major Project - Design - Stand Work

Stand Work:

After weeks of research and development working only on paper I started my design process by experimenting on the stand, thinking of possible shapes and structures that could translate the ideas and themes of optical toys and movement into a garment. As a group we were set a workshop to select one shape out of all our research and project so far and cut it out multiple times in varying sizes. These we then linked all together and arranged on the stand. I chose the shape of a phenakistoscope due to its lack of resemblance to any conventional garment. I then worked on the stand, mainly creating structures that worked away from the body:















Working this way was difficult at times because of the scale of what I was working with; however, I am grateful to be working out of my sketchbook and doing something practical. Once I had finished working on the stand I used what I had created as a basis to start design work in my sketchbook:



I liked the fact that none of the creations really resemble typical garments as it gives me more freedom in my design process. For the next step I set myself my own task working on the stands. Using only outlines of the shapes of various optical toys I created pieces on the stand to use as a starting point for designs. Outlines used include a zoetrope stand, a thaumatrope, a phenakistoscope, the handle of a stereoscope, the outline of stereocards and layers like a flip book:










As with the first task I then used this stand work to start designs:



I am pleased with this work as throughout the project I have found it difficult to visualise and communicate to others how exactly pre-cinema animation devices can be turned into a fashion project. Now, with the start of my design process, I can really see it all coming together. It was also enjoyable to add a new method of working  to diversify my project. The stand outlines effectively show the interesting shapes and structures of pre-cinematic devices. Furthermore, I feel several of these designs are strong and by combining them with the themes I have picked out, perhaps by adding surface designs, I can now develop them into a final idea. I have been focusing on dress design so far, mainly as the shapes I am working with lend themselves to this most easily, but also because it is the garment that enables freest movement, and as I am still thinking about including themes of movement in my project it was something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment