Tuesday 22 April 2014

Themes Research and Inspiration

The Boring Figure - Source
Phantasmagrams by Pentagram
 Illusions:

One theme that I have picked up on while researching pre-cinematic animation devices is that of illusion. The phi phenomenon and depth perception are both things that the brain can be tricked into, which is essentially how all these devices work, by manipulating these senses. Edwin Boring, an experimental psychologist, tested this with his 'Boring Figure' (right). A very famous optical illusion in which either an old woman of young woman can be seen, it illustrates the idea of 'perceptual ambiguity' that the brain can misinterpret how it registers a static image.




Op art:

I did a little research on various artists that use the ideas of optical illusion in their work, obviously immediately turning to the Op Art movement and the work of Bridget Riley. Op art works are abstract, with many of the better known pieces made in black and white. When the viewer looks at them, the impression is given of movement, hidden images, flashing and vibration, patterns, or alternatively, of swelling or warping. Because of the similar manipulation of the static image and other themes that link in well with my project I think I may use some element of optical illusion in my final piece:


As I need more fashion influences in my work I looked into how optical illusions have been used in fashion, and was reminded of Chrisopher Kane's Spring/Summer 2014 collection. He incorporates the ideas of warped perception through bold prints in his work and it is an influence I may use in the future development of my project.




















Another important theme want to look into is that of the study of movement. By very definition of being 'animation devices' the inventions I have looked at so far all depict and study forms of movement. This is something I am excited about researching further, focusing my work specifically on human movement, probably through life drawing classes and other methods. It is a fascinating concept and one I hope to convey in my final piece.


Eadweard Muybridge:

An English photographer (1830-1904) important for his pioneering work in photographic studies of motion, and early work in motion-picture projection.

 Today, Muybridge is known for his pioneering work on movement studies, particularly that of animals. He used multiple cameras to capture stop-motion photographs. His work is behind the design of the flipbooks I used in earlier research.

I love Muybridge's work and studies into movement. He manages to diversify his work and always keep it interesting by combining studies of everyday activities, athletes, dancers and animals:

My sketchbook research into Muybridge. All images sourced from 'Eadweard Muybridge' a book issued by the Tate:

Sketchbook research into Muybridge and Motion Studies. Images sourced from 'Eaddweard Muybrdge' by the Tate and 'Dates and Sources' by Franz Paul Liesegang



While looking into movement studies I found another Photographer whose work admire. Anton Giulio Bragaglia (11 February 1890 – 15 July 1960) was a pioneer in Italian Futurist photography and Futurist cinema. Probably influenced by Muybridge's work, his photograph's are also intriguing studies of movement, a lot with layering and blurring of pictures. Another method he used which I like is that of tracking lines of movement to show patterns and order in it (see below). 

Howard Schatz (born 1940) is an American ophthalmologist and photographer. A modern influence that inspires me. His use of layering and brightened colours really accent the fluidity of the movements he studies and his work will help me as I now come to the end of my research and focus on developing my idea. The photographs of Howard Schatz are exhibited in museums and photography galleries internationally and are included in innumerable private collections. He has received international acclaim for his work.

Although I am still a little behind on my schedule, I now feel more confident going forward with my project as I have a wider range and variety of research. This has helped me to discover several interesting themes to bring in to my idea which will help create a diverse well rounded final outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment