Friday 18 April 2014

Devices Research

The next devices I've chosen to research have a different focus from the previous four. I've had to narrow down my research quite a bit as there are dozens of inventions that all work on the same principle. Therefore I have only picked out eight overall to focus on: Camera Obscura, Magic Lantern, Thaumatrope, Zoetrope, Phenakistoscope, Flip Book, Stereoscope and Anaglyphs. 

The three in this list that I have not already researched in depth, Stereoscope, Anaglyph and Magic Lanterns do not create moving images, but rather 'animate' a static image in a different way. Depth Perception is the key principle here. Depth perception is the ability to perceive the world in three dimensions (3D). It is because of this perception that humans possess that we can judge distances, and from a technological point of view, now have 3D films. 

Stereoscope 
A stereoscope is a device which can make images appear three dimensional. It consists of a card holder with attached lenses and a stereocard or stereograph which consists of two images of the same scene shot slightly apart. The lenses have the effect of merging the two images onto one another, and consequentially adding a dimension to the 2D image. The earliest type of stereoscope was invented by Charles Wheatstone in 1838.

Stereocards from my collection
With my research into stereoscopes I started thinking again about how these devices could be used as inspiration for a textile outcome. I had the idea that the designs of the devices could lend themselves to interesting print designs. I tried this out with a stereoscope image and adding layers and colour to it on Photoshop to create a print. I then imposed the print onto a garment. I am pleased with my final result and am looking forward to expanding my research and development processes with the other devices to include print design. However, as costume is my main area of interest I would like a final piece that goes beyond textile surface design to incorporate construction techniques as well. 
Stereoscope Print Design
Stereoscope Print Garment
Author's Own Anaglyph
Anaglyph 3D is the name given to the stereoscopic 3D effect achieved by means of encoding each eye's image using filters of different (usually chromatically opposite) colours, typically red and cyan (in other words achieved by wearing 3D glasses). Anaglyph 3D images contain two differently filtered coloured images, one for each eye. Therefore, when viewed through the "colour-coded" "anaglyph glasses", each of the two images reaches the eye it's intended for and the visual cortex of the brain fuses the two images into perception of a three-dimensional picture. The first method to produce anaglyph images was developed in 1852 by Wilhelm Rollmann in Leipzig, Germany, using filtered cameras. These days the same method is used with computers to make our 3D films, video games etc. Essentially the same effect as the stereoscope is achieved, however instead of two images side by side, the two are layered. In my research I found a website which instructs on how to create your own anaglyph images:

http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/classroom/3d.shtml
With this I started to experiment with making my own, again thinking that they would make interesting prints. Having not picked out a theme to follow within my chosen project I used the work of a photographer I greatly admire, Robert Doisneau, just for experiment's sake. If you have 3D glasses please use them to look at the following images and I hope they'll work. 




Generic Image from Google for experimenting with.
The difficulty I encountered with this was getting the distances with which to set apart the contrasting coloured images - I had to guess. Therefore the effectiveness of the 3D effect is not always great. The necessity for 3D glasses also makes the effects hard to show to others. To test if anaglyphs would work as print I used the transfer printers at college to test them on fabric. I am reasonably pleased with the result, however it is not overly effective so the result is more for the principle of using the device than its viability as a 3D Image.
Anaglyph on Polyester Fabric
Anaglyph on Polyester Fabric. 
I also experimented with using the third dimension in my work through drawings. While at the science museum I found in their gift shop a kind of paper that claimed that when drawn on with black pen and with the use of 3D glasses, it would produce drawings that appeared 3D. It works because of the layers of red and green circles as the background and so when wearing the specially supplied red and green 3D glasses that came with the paper the eyes separate out  the layers as different distances. All in all, experimenting with three dimensional drawing was really fun, and I hope to bring some element of this through into my final piece.  

My '3D' Drawings

Cinderella running from the Ball - From my Collection
The final device I researched is the Magic Lantern. It is an early type of image projector developed in the 17th century. After looking through my grandfather's collection, what interested me most about the magic lantern was the frequency with which it was used to entertain the masses and tell stories. Magic lantern slides where often a sequence of illustrations from popular stories, such as Cinderella, and they came with explanatory text. Audiences would sit and watch the slides together. This theme of storytelling was something I already wanted to bring into my project due to my interest in costume design and something I have picked up on with all the devices is that they each tell their own stories. The point of them all being 'pre-cinema devices' is that they are essentially the closest thing to films of their day. In a precursor to our modern films they have their own narratives and in their own way tell their stories. This is a theme that I definitely want to pick up on as I now go into the theme and idea development stage of my project.

Alice in Wonderland Slides - From My Collection
As I am  now at the end of week two of my project, I had a progress review at college. The feedback I received was generally positive. However, my peers and tutor agreed that they find it hard to see how my ideas can develop into a final outcome. They also said that, although they like the fact that my idea is different, I now need more fashion and artist references in order to meet the FMP Criteria. I also checked my work against my action plan and found that I am about a week behind as I still feel I have more research to do, when really I should be past that and solely focused on developing my final design for the next three weeks. However I have met my aims set for the end of the fist two weeks of my project, with the exception of the third one and his is only because I have changed my original idea:

1. Go to the BFI, the Science Museum, The Photographer gallery etc. Sort through my Grandfather’s collections and create films/photographs of research found.
2. Research methods and origins of pre-cinema imagery and how they translated into modern techniques using library, internet and museum research as well as books such as : ‘The Wonders Of the Stereoscope’ by John Jones
3. Sort through gathered research and translate and experiment with initial findings in my sketchbook. Research and storyboard short story initially.n order to simplify the project I have not started out with a final outcome in mind and will see what themes and ideas my work produces. Instead of forcing too many ideas together I am only thinking about pre-cinema devices and not storyboards so I can be more free and fluid in my work.

Altogether this feedback was very useful I will have to ensure I manage my time more effectively and diversify my research in the coming week.   

No comments:

Post a Comment