Sunday 15 September 2013

Timeline: Week Two: Graphics

Day One: Monday 9th September:


We spent the day on different drawing techniques. Drawing with our eyes shut, with the wrong hand, and even with the pen in our mouths.
1: Blind Drawing of Florence: 3 mins. Charcoal
2. Right Handed Drawing of  Rosie: 5 mins.
Graphite Stick


3. Drawing with Pen in Mouth of Bobby: 5 mins.
Marker Pen
4. Continuous Line Drawing From Memory
Self Portrait:
5 mins. Marker Pen


5. (Below) Ade's Ear: 20 mins Pencil Study





















I enjoyed this work as it gave us a chance to experiment and create imperfect drawings to help examine the ways in which to communicate ideas and create marks on paper.


We then did collage studies of faces. Upon finishing the collage we took a 3cm section and recaptured it to create a new image and display how interpretation can change.












 I did the reworked collage drawing as a pencil study and used a scalpel to scratch away a layer of the paper to create the torn look of the magazine pages and emphasise the differences and separation of skin tones.

Day Two: Wednesday 11th September:

Wednesday was spent looking at typography and how to communicate and create ideas through the kinds of marks we make. The first stage was very experimental but then we focused our ideas to create our own fonts. The final stage of the day we spent using these fonts to try and communicate an idea about ourselves and our futures.

The font I created started with the idea of not revealing the entire word but rather communicating through suggestion. I folded up pieces of paper and then, using black ink, drew on the letters before unfolding the paper again for the final effect. I was told that what I created looked a lot like bar code and, although this was unintentional, decided to use this in my development and communication of ideas. Therefore for my final piece of the day, to communicate something about my future, I chose to write the word ''UNLOCKED". This was because I have little idea of what I want from the future so using the code effect to exaggerate the idea of secrets to be revealed I tried to convey my desire to discover and 'unlock' what the future might bring. (All pieces of work pictured below):




Day Three: Friday 13th September:




On this final day on the graphics rotation we started the day by braintstorming ideas for a final product that would convey our hopes and ideas of what we might do in the future and what our lives might be like by the year 2033. 






I thought about things like the places I want to go, the people I might meet and the things I want to see and do. However I still felt very uncertain about what I wanted from the future and the impossibility of predicting what we might be doing in years to come when new jobs and technologies have been created.




Because of this uncertainty I decided to  try and communicate that with my final product by creating something that would not really reveal anything certain. I wanted to tie in the typography project with this and again felt the idea of codes and unknown things was appropriate for this product. My final idea was to make a kind of box ( wanted to try working in 3D as I have not yet done so on this course). I had to make a few prototypes before getting the measurements right (picture right).



My finished product is a box covered on the outside with the typography font I had created. I wanted to tie together the projects and felt the idea of having to figure out the future and 'crack the code' so to speak were relevant. I used the typography to cover the outside of the box in key words and quotes that I associate with my future choices and aspirations.




Then I cut two eye holes in the front of the box and filled the inside with images of things I want to do and experience in life. The bottom inside of the box is a map of the world which I have drawn red lines connecting to all the places I want to travel to. The three visible walls have images of futuristic cities and crowds of faceless people to represent those I may meet. 








There are also the images of a diploma as one of the few things I am certain of is that I want to get a university degree and a few images to do with costume design as that is a career path I am considering and feel I would be really excited and happy about doing.

I used a contrast between text and images in this project to try and communicate a distinction between present ideas on the outside and future dreams and speculations inside. The use of the box which mostly concealed the images within I designed to try and convey the idea that are futures are really hidden from us and we can't do much but  try to steer our paths towards what we think will make us happy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment