Friday 28 February 2014

Cultures and Contrasts Project - Design Development and Final Outcome

In the second week of the cultures and contrasts projects we had workshops on how to create colour ways and palettes to help with our design work. We took photos with good colour schemes and selected out sections on photoshop which we could then duplicate. Using this method I was able to create reference images and a colour scheme based entirely on Venetian architecture and the anatomy of the human body.  



 
 Foiling layers with stitched heart detail 
Heat press transfer with
stitched detail
Now having a colour scheme to work with I decided, using my previous research, to convey my theme of  the the contrast between architectural (specifically Venetian architecture) impermanence and human immortality in a garment for my final outcome. My idea of how to do this was to create a surface design that mimicked the anatomy of the human body, but that is composed of architectural features such as a row of buildings as a rib or canals as arteries. My greatest challenge was deciding what the best method would be to render the design onto fabric. I started to make some samples in order to test what would be most effective for adding such a complex pattern onto fabric and retaining the detail. Here is a selection of my samples:                                              
Transfer paint and
melted chocolate coin wrapper
 After completing my sample work I decided to use the heat press transfer method for my final outcome so that I could scan in a design and have it printed onto a garment. This way I can retain all the detail as well as add colour digitally, giving me a wider palette and enabling me to use only specific tones from my previous colour way work. After some more development in my sketchbook I decided to make a kind of neck-piece garment that showed the anatomy of the upper body. With the Rialto Bridge as the design for the collar bone and the St. Marks Tower as the sternum. I also designed a section of the muscles at the back as the St. Maria Salute church. I did this design in pen and it is in proportion to the human body:

Front
Back
Final Design in Colour: Front
Final Design in Colour: Back

After scanning in my designs I spent the day adding colour using only my previous colour range, derived from Venetian architecture and human anatomy. This took a long time as I tried several different combinations and had to select each section of design individually. I am pleased with my final  result and feel the variety of colour works well as it is all in the same tone. I then had my design transfer printed onto fabric. I used the polyester provided by the college as it prints the clearest detail and my project is more about the design than the drape. 

Once printed I cut out the patterns and stitched around the edges to prevent fraying. I then used black elastic to attach the front to the back and create a finished neck-piece. As my idea is very conceptual it was a challenge to translate the ideas clearly into a finished piece of textile design work, but I did my best and received positive feedback from my tutors and peers. One problem I encountered was that once printed, the colours on my design came out in slightly different shades, changing the overall effect. This is a shame yet I am still pleased with my final product and really loved this project; the creative freedom it provided and particularly the research were enjoyable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment